Xenon light bulbs are commonly used for automobile headlights. However, did you know that energy-efficient, long-lasting xenon light bulbs are also excellent for home lighting use? Find out why.
What Are Xenon Light Bulbs?
Xenon light bulbs are a form of incandescent lighting. They get their name from the fact that they’re filled with xenon gas, which extends the rated life of their tungsten filament. The whole apparatus is enclosed in an envelope of high-melting-point glass.
What Makes Xenon Bulbs More Energy-Efficient Than Halogens?
They last longer. Commercial xenon bulbs can last about 8,000- 20,000 hours, compared to approximately 1,000 hours for halogens. (In fact, many European countries are phasing out the use of halogen bulbs due to their inefficiency.) While xenon bulbs for the home may not last as long, they still offer an extended lifetime, which means savings for you. In fact, often xenon bulbs for lamps and cabinet lights last about 3,000-5,000 hours -- in some cases even more.
Where Are They Used?
For residential lighting, xenon light bulbs are used in a number of practical and stylish installations. You’ll find xenon light bulbs as:
- Recessed (“cove”) lighting
- Undercabinet lights
- Task lighting
- Desk lamps
- Spotlights for paintings and other artwork
More Xenon Bulb Qualities
- They give off a good color light, warmer than the light from a halogen bulb.
- Most bulbs are available in either clear or frosted versions.
- They’re cooler burning than halogen bulbs, an additional energy-saving characteristic on those hot summer days.
- You can actually touch xenon bulbs. With halogen lights, you shouldn’t touch the bulb itself, because the oil from your hands might significantly reduce its lifetime.
- They emit minimal UV rays, which means they will not fade upholstery, window treatments, and other fabric.
- There is no high pressure danger with xenon light bulbs, as there is with halogens.
- Xenon lights may be installed with a dimming feature, which reduces energy costs even further – and provides a cozy ambiance, as well. Be sure to hire an electrician who is knowledgeable in xenon light installations. Find a reliable licensed electrician for all your home lighting needs.
Updated May 13, 2018.
Looking for a Pro? Call us(866) 441-6648