Are you interested in a professional landscape design for your property? The cost to consult a landscape designer typically runs the spectrum from $300-$2,500 and up, depending on the nature of your project.
Cost to consult a landscape designer will take into account quite a few variables:
- size of your property
- scope of the project
- local climate and growing conditions
- condition of your soil
- slope and drainage
- degree of maintenance desired
- any water feature to be included, such as a pond or fountain
- any hardscape to be built, like a patio, fire pit, or retaining wall
- special features, for example, lighting, an outdoor kitchen and so on.
- Labor -- The cost to consult a landscape designer is almost all for the labor -- or rather, the knowledge and expertise a professional designer or landscape contractor brings to the task of making your grounds a beautiful and usable outdoor living area. There may be an additional charge for blueprints or computerized designs of the planned landscape.
Get the Most for Your Money
Ask your local authority about setbacks and other limitations. Obtain a permit if necessary; usually you won't need one for digging and planting but might if your contractor will be building hardscape features.
Your local university agricultural extension service can give you valuable information about your soil and growing conditions in the region.
If you consult a landscape designer affiliated with a contractor, check whether the cost of the consultation can be applied toward the actual landscaping work.
Inquire about low-maintenance, low water landscaping to save yourself money and hassle in the future. You'll also be doing the environment a favor by reducing the amount of water you need to use.