Roofing Shingles & Roof Styles
The sky is the limit when it comes to types of roofing shingles, roof styles and materials for designing a distinctive roof for your home. Traditional asphalt-shingled roofs continue to be the most popular in the United States, but many other new roof styles and types are gaining popularity. When it’s time, contact a local roofing contractor who can help educate you on the best roofing shingles and roof style choices in your area.
Here are some general tips and factors to consider when deciding what roofing shingles and roof styles will be best for your home:
Consider the life-cycle cost of the roofing material you are thinking about: Some roofing shingle materials are very expensive but require less maintenance and have a longer life expectancy than others. For example, asphalt roofs will generally last 20 years while more pricey roofs, like metal ones, will last about 50 years with low maintenance. Consider the current and potential value of your home and think about how long you plan to stay in your home. Consider your roof’s age when calculating whether certain roofing shingle materials would be too costly of an option.
A Glance at Some of the New Roofing Shingle Options
- Asphalt shingles are currently the most common roofing shingles used in the United States; they come with the most options and choices. These roofing shingles are relatively inexpensive when compared to other options, but they generally require the most maintenance.
- Concrete roof tiles have some really fantastic advantages over other types of roofing shingles, such as long warranties and natural noise insulation. The contemporary finished look of concrete roof tiles makes a trendy, polished statement.
- Wood shingles and shake roofing are becoming roofing shingles of the past. With too many risks, including flammability, these roofs will soon be part of our history.
- Eco-shake roofing is affordable and great for the environment, plus it lasts long and requires no maintenance.
- Rubber roofing is commonly installed on flat roofs, where water may sit. Rubber roofs are known for their simple installation.
- Metal roofing, one of the strongest roofing materials available, often comes with a 50-year warranty. Metal roof styles are vast, so you will have a great selection to choose from.
Looking for a Pro? Call us(866) 441-6648