Looking to install drywall in your home? Expect the typical cost to install drywall to work out at about $870-$1,300 for 600 square feet of 4' x 8' drywall sheets. That is enough to cover the walls and ceiling of a 12' x 12' room which is 8' high.
The total cost to install the drywall will be affected by these factors:
- Desired thickness of drywall sheets (1/4" to 5/8")
- Size and layout of home
- Complexity of the job
- Special architectural features to work around
- Whether the project is new construction, a home addition, or drywall replacement
- Any repair needed, such as water damage to the existing walls
- Materials and Supplies -- Expect your contractor's estimate to include the drywall, fasteners (drywall screws), and joint compound. In addition, he will furnish tools and equipment such as mud mixers, finishing knives, and the like.
- Labor -- Labor costs include both hanging and finishing (mudding, taping, and sanding) drywall. Removal of old drywall, insulation, skim coating and surface texturing, and painting are all usually extra. Drywall installation is a project that requires a good deal of skill, as well as specialized tools, and is not for the amateur DIYer.
- Cleanup -- Installing drywall tends to be a very dusty, messy project. Be sure to discuss cleanup costs before you sign a contract with your installer.
- Estimate -- The initial estimate for a larger drywall job, which may include onsite inspection and measurement, is often free.
Get the Most for your Money
For new construction or room additions, be sure to schedule necessary framing and electrical inspections before installing drywall.
Check whether your locality requires a permit for drywall installation.
Cost to Hire a Handyman
Articles and Tips
Presenting … 4 fantastic home upgrades with mucho curb appeal. And that’s not all the good... Read More