For many homeowners, a gorgeous kitchen is a must … and the hub of that showpiece kitchen is beautiful custom cabinets. The cost to build custom kitchen cabinets will typically set you back $16,000 to $20,000 or more, for a kitchen of 120 square feet. That includes materials and labor, although installation is extra. (As a general rule of thumb, the charge for cabinet installation is about 10 percent of the construction cost.)
What determines that price tag? Well, the cost to build custom kitchen cabinets is influenced by quite a few factors. Here's a list:
- Type of wood (hardwood such as cherry, maple, oak, or walnut)
- Door style
- Amount and type of decorative molding
- Face-frame vs. frameless construction
- Internal accessories (for example, breadboxes, bottle drawers, or slide-out broom cupboards)
- High-end additions like beveled glass cabinet doors
- Specialized storage needs
- Complexity of your specifications
Why Choose Custom Built Kitchen Cabinets?
Order custom cabinets as part of a high-end kitchen remodel. Your carpentry contractor will build them by hand, especially to suit your kitchen and your specifications. The cabinetry will optimize your kitchen space, look lovely, and serve you well for many years. If and when you eventually put your house up for sale, top quality kitchen cabinets will enhance buyer appeal.
- Materials -- Cost includes materials for the cabinet boxes, doors, and drawers; hardware (drawer pulls, carousel, hinges, etc.); and miscellaneous fittings and supplies.
- Labor -- Custom cabinetry construction is skill- and labor-intensive, often involving several weeks of artisanship.
- Estimate -- The initial estimate, which may include onsite measurement, is often free.
Get the Most for Your Money
There's no doubt that custom built cabinets combine the ultimate in beauty and durability. If you love the look but can't quite afford it though, consider having your carpenter add custom doors to stock cabinet boxes. Alternatively, reduce costs by staining or painting custom cabinets yourself.
Remember resale. High quality kitchen renovations tend to have an excellent ROI when a house is sold. Not only that, they show up well in real estate photos and attract more potential buyers, leading to a quicker sale.
Cost to Hire a Carpenter
Articles and Tips
Photo of a pergola attached to a house by Texas_Custom_Patios/FLickr. The look of a pergola attached... Read More