When you're looking to hire a carpenter, expect to pay from $35 - $100 per hour on average. The cost is often is based on a minimum charge of 1 1/2 to 2 hours or a per-job rate. Browse carpenters near you to find the best carpenter for your project.
Why such a wide range of prices? Costs vary according to where you live and how complicated the job is.
Hire a carpenter for 3 types of tasks related to wood:
- Rough carpentry (structural) -- for example, frame a house, build a deck, add a closet, or construct an outbuilding
- Finish carpentry -- install cabinets, doors, moldings, shelves, trim, and windows
- Repair -- repair a deck, remedy dry rot
The cost to hire a carpenter includes:
- Labor -- Confirm in advance how your carpenter's labor charge will be calculated, by the job or per hour.
- Cleanup -- Cleanup is typically included in the job.
- Tools -- Expect your carpenter to furnish his own tools, as a rule.
Other costs may or may not be included:
- Materials -- Materials are not included unless specified in advance.
- Estimate -- The initial estimate, which may include an onsite inspection, is often free.
Choose the Best Carpenter for the Job
Hire a qualified journeyman general carpenter for most residential carpentry work. Hire a finish carpenter for the more refined carpentry work, such as joinery and built-in furniture.
Whatever type of carpentry service you need, be sure to hire only licensed carpenters. The carpentry contractor and any employees must be covered by liability insurance and workers' compensation.
Request a bond for any job worth over $500.
Get the Most for Your Money
Organize a list of small carpentry jobs that need to be taken care of around your home. Then save money by hiring a carpenter for a half or full day block to deal with them all. This almost always works out cheaper than having them done individually.
Be sure to obtain a building permit, if necessary, before your carpenter begins work.
Cost to Hire a Carpenter
Articles and Tips
Let's start backwards. We're taking for granted the fact that you, like most Americans, have a junk drawer... Read More
An acquaintance of mine has just embarked on what promises to be a great adventure. She and her husband... Read More