Mother's Day is an opportunity to give a gift from the heart. Or maybe from the workshop? If you or your mom are DIY enthusiasts, here are seven Mother's Day gift ideas that she'll love.
1. DIY Mother's Day Centerpiece: Why give your mom an ordinary bunch of flowers when you could build her a robust and unique Mother's Day floral centerpiece? Think Thanksgiving centerpiece, but choose spring colors and fruits. Tulips, daisies, bee balm...think big blooms with bright colors.
2. House Cleaning Services: Some mothers might take offense to this idea; others might love it. Buy your mom a gift certificate for a few hours of house cleaning service from a local house cleaning company.
3. Architectural Photo Books: Nice coffee table books are fun to get as gifts. If you mother loves a certain style of decor or architecture, buy her a beautiful book of photographs of that design style. Does she have a thing for "gingerbread" houses? Does she love the castles of France? Frank Lloyd Wright? A trip to your local book store could yield a gift that mom treasures.
4. A Glue Gun: I'm sorry if this sounds utilitarian, but bear with me. If your mom does not have a glue gun, buy her one. It's useful, and maybe will encourage her to get creative. Creative expression is a good gift to give someone.
5. Plants for Her Garden: One of the best gifts I given my mom was three robust perennials for her garden. Cut flowers wilt quickly, but perennial plants bloom year after year. Plants for the garden are a great gift for the gardening mom. Herbs make great gifts, as well as flowers.
6. Gift Certificate for Furniture Refinishing: Almost everyone has a piece of furniture that he or she needs refinished. Give your mom the gift of services of a fine painter to restore a favorite piece of old furniture to its former glory.
7. Take Your Mother to a Home Improvement Workshop: Stores like Home Depot offer weekly home improvement workshops, which are a fun way to empower your mom if she has caught the DIY bug. This Mother's Day, May 12, 2013, Home Depot is offering a free class on deck maintenance and staining. These classes are offered across the country. Whether you are learning deck maintenance from a carpentry expert in San Diego or in New York City, a home improvement workshop could be a fun treat for the mom who enjoys DIY projects.
Have you ever given a DIY or home improvement gift to your mom? How did she like it?
+Chaya Kurtz writes for Networx.com.