It's hard to eliminate that barnyard image from your mind when you think about metal roofs. But, the fact is that today's metal roofing is nothing at all like the metal barnyard roofing of yesterday. Metal roofing is actually the leader in residential roofing options and is hands-down the best roofing material out there. There is one, and only one, disadvantage to metal roofing which has kept it back from gaining popularity. The disadvantage is the high initial purchase and installation cost. For example, metal roofing for the average size ranch style home in the U.S (let's use a 1,400 square foot home in the Midwest as an example) could cost about $15,000. That's a lot for the average American. While I am no financial advisor, I feel that I should give some financial advice to all those new roof seekers out there. My advice is: Do it! If you can't pay that large amount up front, then you should consider financing options because in the end, as there is virtually no maintenance associated with metal roofs and they will last at least 50 years. Top quality metal roofs which are installed properly will last even longer.
If you are considering making an investment in your home by replacing the roof, then go with metal roofing since it will increase the value of your home. In fact, many estimate that a new metal roof can increase your home's value by up to 50%. That's right - and in today's housing market! Even in a good housing market that is almost unheard of!
Let's explore the many benefits to metal roofing:
- No stripping required: Metal roofs can be installed over existing roofs such as asphalt shingled roofs. This saves labor costs on striping and removal and is also environmentally friendly, as the old roof shingles won't be tossed into a landfill.
- No noise: Homes that are roofed with metal do not experience any more noise than conventional asphalt shingled roofs. This is because the metal roof shingles are installed over an existing roof or over another support system.
- Recycled material: Metal shingles are made of a minimum of 28% recycled scrap metal material. All metal roof shingles are recyclable.
- Energy efficient: Metal roofs remain cooler than other roofing types, thus keeping your home cooler which means lower energy bills for you! In fact, in really hot regions in the U.S., metal roofs are used to significantly decrease energy costs for cooling.
- Insurance savings: The durability and over all excellence of metal roofing has been acknowledged in the insurance industry. As a result, homeowners with metal roofs have experienced a decrease in the cost of their homeowners insurance.
- Warranty: Metal roofs always come with a 50 year (or more) warranty.
- Fire rating: Metal roofs have the highest fire rating (Class A) as they are extremely durable and non-combustable. Metal roofs offer the MOST protection against fire of any roofing material.
- No snow leaks: Snow is known for sliding off metal roofs when temperatures reach 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Make sure to have your metal roof installed by a qualified roofer who has plenty experience in working with metal roofing.