We all know it's a bad idea to leave a car running inside a garage, for reasons that should seem very evident, but sometimes people do it anyway. Especially at this time of year, when cold weather might provide an incentive to warm up the car inside before taking a drive.
In Seattle, that decision nearly proved fatal recently when two older gentlemen left a running car in their garage -- luckily, their neighbors noticed and dragged them out of the house, as their garage door was sealed tight, trapping all that carbon monoxide in the house. Seven people ended up being taken to the hospital for treatment.
As always, it's a good idea to make sure that anything known to produce carbon monoxide has a thorough ventilation system while it's running. In addition, consider installing carbon monoxide detectors if you haven't already, and if you have them, test them this weekend when the clocks change! For those with garages, consider asking your Portland garage door installer about safety options to help you prevent tragedies.