You don't have to hurt pests to get rid of them, but you should know that neglecting to free your home from pests can result in disaster and disease. Here are the top 10 reasons why pests are not meant to be pets.
Ten Reasons to Get Rid of Pests
- Multiplying Like Mad: Mice - and many other pests - are excellent and efficient breeders, which means that although you only have one family of mice to deal with today, tomorrow may bring multiple litters. They chew holes, they get into your food, they shred insulation, they carry disease and decomposing dead mice can smell or make you sick. If you don't get rid of a mouse infestation the moment that you notice one, you may have to call in the professionals to clear your home of the little rodents.
- Wasted Wires: Pests are great at damaging things inside of your home. Mice and squirrels will chew through wires and cords while bugs can block important pipes and lines.
- Wounded Wood: Carpenter ants and termites eat through wood. In fact, wood is the preferred snack of both carpenter ants and termites. That means that an infestation of carpenter ants or termites can lead to a frayed home structure - not a pretty (or safe) picture!
- Asthma: If you have a small child in your home, then you should know that the debris cockroaches leave behind can cause childhood asthma. If you happen to see a cockroach, you should call a professional exterminator - these pests don't operate alone!
- Disease: Many different bugs (like mosquitoes) carry viruses that can damage your health. Ticks are responsible for Lyme disease and spotted fever, while worms and flies can also carry deadly diseases.
- Displeased Pets: While many people do not think of ticks and fleas as pests, these small bugs can pose serious health risks. Not only do ticks and fleas make meals of your beloved pets, these small parasites can also harm your family by transporting certain diseases.
- Itching and Scratching: Bedbugs are making a comeback these days, and they are just as pesky as they ever were. Bedbugs, lice and mosquitoes can cause humans to itch incessantly, and these bugs can sometimes trigger serious allergic reactions. If you think you have bedbugs, make sure to call an exterminator (these bugs can be very hard to detect).
- Fouled Food: If any pests are allowed to infiltrate your food items, then you may have to deal with the food contamination that droppings and germs can cause. In turn, contamination can lead to illnesses and disease, so make sure that your food is properly packaged and stored at all times.
- A Virtual Pest Party: Neglecting to get rid of any kind of pest will only result in more pests. How can this be? When one rodent burrows its way into your home, that opening will be left for other pests to crawl through - not to mention the fact that some pest feces actually attract other pests!
- Chewing Cloth: Termites, moths, bedbugs and a number of other pests love to snack on cloth. Leaving pests alone could mean a wardrobe full of holey clothes or curtains that have suddenly turned into cheesecloth.
As you can see, allowing pests to remain around your home is never a good idea. Whether you have just one pest or many, take the time to figure out how to get rid of your infestation problems. While pests may not seem all that harmful, these small creatures can really cause a lot of trouble!